Lighting & Electrical
Lighting recycling in Australia: A complete guide to recycling lighting waste
January 3, 2017
Lighting makes up a significant amount of Australia’s waste, but many people are unaware that lighting recycling in Australia is easy, convenient, and helps to protect our environment.
Here’s how to do it.
What types of lighting can be recycled?
Just about all types of lighting can be recycled, including:
- Fluorescent tubes, usually found in commercial buildings, but also in some homes
- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), common in all types of buildings
- Sodium vapour and other high-intensity lamps used in warehouses, factories, sporting facilities and street lighting.
All of the above types of lighting contain toxic mercury metal and must be recycled to prevent that mercury from entering the environment. But other types of lighting can also be recycled, such as:
- Incandescent light globes (the old fashioned light bulbs we grew up with)
- Halogen down-lights. Millions of these are being replaced under energy efficiency schemes that may require proof of destruction and recycling of these lamps
- LED lighting – the new kids on the block, favoured for their low electricity use and longevity.
Other lighting-associated waste can also be recycled, including metal lamp fittings and electrical wiring.
As with any recycling program, one of the keys to success is simplifying the logistics. If we can deliver a really simple system for lighting recycling, Australia can become a star in diverting lighting waste from landfill.
For relatively small quantities of lighting waste, Ecocycle’s solution is to offer pre-paid collection boxes. We have long boxes for fluorescent tubes as well as cartons for globe-type lamps such as CFLs. These can also be used for halogen and incandescent lighting.
For organisations producing larger amounts of lighting waste we can provide on-site wheelie bins or large stillages – the sky is the limit. Whether it’s boxes or bins, all you need to do is fill ‘em up then give us a call. Wherever you are in Australia, we take care of collection and safe recycling.
Households and small businesses with only a few lamps can get in on the act too. Many councils accept fluorescent tubes and CFLs for recycling, either at their offices or their local recycling depots. Check your council’s website (and surrounding councils) for details or visit Recycling Near You.
Get on board
When it comes to lighting recycling, Australia is well placed to meet the challenge. Ecocycle offers a range of complete logistical and recycling packages for all of the types of lighting waste anywhere in Australia.
To get on board, give us a call on 1300 32 62 92 or fill out the form below. One of our lighting waste specialists will be happy to recommend a lamp disposal and recycling solution to meet your needs.